Monday, August 29, 2011

Nearing the end

All day I've been trying to ignore the fact that this is officially the last week of summer vacation. In all honesty I can say I loved having these three at home the last few months. Let's be clear, I didn't say I loved every minute with them. I'm just talking about the summer overall. The school year is so rushed with homework, sports, and evening meetings and there never seems to be enough time. But summer is different. It's kind of like the weekend getaway with your husband. You look at him over a quiet dinner and think "oh, yeah I do like you!" These slow days of summer remind me I do love my boys, and they can take 2 hours to clean their room if they want to.
This summer we did things differently. There was no swim lessons or sports camps. Instead we made a list in June of all the important things we needed to get done this summer and went about checking them off. By important I mean sleeping in a tent, picking berries, going to a Mariners game, swimming in the lake, borrowing stacks of books from the library, roasting marshmallows, sleepover and Grandma and Grandpa's, riding bikes to the park, picnics. You know all the things there never seems to be enough time for September through May. I'm already brainstorming adventures to add to next summer's "to do" list.

No comments:

Post a Comment